Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Actor Peter Shinkoda Interview (C) 2016 Dan's Movie Report EXCLUSIVE 'Nobu Chats Daredevil!'

 

 

Greetings valued Dan's Movie Report readers. Once again another exclusive interview this time from the world of Daredevil on Netflix. The conversation shifts to the dark side of Hell's Kitchen where I go one on one with Peter Shinkoda, AKA Nobu. Peter chats about his role on the highly rated Daredevil series, and gives the fans an inside look into his thoughts and ideas on his devious, but compelling character. Ladies and gentlemen, bow before Nobu and pledge your life, it is time for a verbal beat down haha! Seriously though, Peter is a cool guy, and has a wealth of Daredevil insight, and acting ability, read on and find out...

 



 

Chat about how the audition process for your Nobu character was, Elodie mentioned she had no idea who she was auditioning for?

 

I think casting's intention was for actors not to know what they were reading for. I figured it out quickly. I read a few times and was offered the part.

 

Your character appeared in the very first episode and continues in season two. What are some of your ideas as to the growth of Nobu and his connections to The Hand, with the evolution?

 

With all my previous knowledge of Daredevil comics I had a good idea about what ties Nobu had. How the writers were going to flesh out Nobu and The Hand was something I dwell on of course, but had no influence over. When I was asked to return in Season 2, I still had no idea or input to where the character was going. It's very secretive with Marvel.

 

It seems the Marvel Netflix universe is as covert as the C.I.A. Were you asked to evolve Nobu, into more of a master villain in season two? Chat about your ideas on how he evolved.


Is Nobu a master villain in season 2 because I haven got to Nobu's return episode yet and I'm on episode 6! I was definitely not a master villain in my mind even if I was in someone else's because I was never informed of anything like that by the production. My shooting schedule during the final episodes where I'd be working on 2 in a day sometimes with many last minute changes left no room for any "evolving". I just used my instincts as an actor and invested everything I could humanly contribute to the material and I'm very comfortable with the way it all turned out!

 

 


Shifting gears, the fight sequences in Daredevil are so amazing, chat about the differences in fighting in a group vs one on one action. Do you feel you have to accent your moves further in a group?


Thank you, those are kind words! Yes, the fights are spectacular!! Group fights are simply (no pun intended) more difficult - more moving parts makes it more dangerous and more complicated when it comes to continuity.

 

 


Speaking of danger, any bumps and bruises in Daredevil filming? Share a set story that you have not spoken about. Looks like you guys really enjoyed yourself.


Watching and working on the fights is thrilling. It was special to just watch the stunt team do their thing. I can say I really enjoyed witnessing my amazing stunt double, Micah Karns, getting thrown off a 6 story building! He's something special that guy. So, many bumps and bruises pretty much every day of shooting. We spent many consecutive days shooting the biggest fights, and most mornings it was extremely tough to get myself into the subway and get to set again for more of the same.

 

 


You mentioned your stunt double Micah, chat about the importance of stunt doubles in Daredevil, and how they were seamlessly integrated into the fights. Lauren mentioned in her interview that the fights were rehearsed when the dialogue was being shot for the actors, then filmed later in the week for the episode. How was your rehearsal schedule?


First off, Lauren Mary Kim is a beautiful and amazingly skilled stunt actress who left me speechless watching her work! She is correct in saying that stunts are aggressively practiced by only the stunt team beforehand. Actors do not have any rehearsal time except for a few moments before shooting. Between Charlie, Elodie and I, we learned our 5 to 6 move "combinations" in the minutes before shooting them, for the most part.

 

 

I know you may not have a clue, but can you chat about your ideas of The Black Sky, and The Hand for Daredevil, do you think season 3 the organization will emerge from the shadows more?


C'mon, I can't chat about those because I have absolutely no idea!


I figured, still had to ask. Shifting the focus a bit, was Nobu's weapon based on your skill set, or based on the character? Same question with fighting style.


My understanding is that the "kyoketsu-shogei" was Stunt Coordinator Philip Silvera's fantasy weapon that he wanted to introduce on the show!!! In fact, he told me so. Nobu's fighting style is a mixture of styles also informed by Philip Silvera and my stunt double Micah Karns who together design the fights. You really should ask them!

 

 


What are your thoughts on the series, how did you enjoy the episodes? Did you feel more of a connection to the episodes you were in or was it more like parts of a whole. felt like season 2 was one 13 hour movie.


I enjoy the seasons as 13 hour movies myself, and I am an extreme fan of both seasons so far. I loved season 1 and I love Jon Bernthal as The Punisher in the first 6 episodes that I've seen in season 2. Elodie Yung also embodies Elektra exactly the way I envisioned her since I was a child and Charlie Cox somehow got even better in his performance as Matt Murdock!!! That praise goes to all the other actors too! Everybody pulls their weight in every department and the show looks great. I'm very critical and in my opinion it's up there with the best of them out there right now.


Thank you Peter for taking time out of your busy schedule to conduct this exclusive interview. Keep your browsers locked on Dan's Movie Report for more on Peter later in 2016! In the mean time check out his official website and social media outlets.


Official site: http://www.petershinkoda.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThePeterShinkoda/?fref=ts

Twitter: https://twitter.com/petershinkoda/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peter.shinkoda/







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to post, ads or flaming will be deleted.