Friday, December 26, 2014

Yoson An Interview (C) 2014 A Dan's Movie Report Exclusive!

ABOVE PHOTO: Yoson An publicity shot for 'Ghost Bride' (C) 2013 Clinton Tudor

Greetings my valued readers, I hope you all had a joyous holiday season. For my final interview of 2014, I present to you, all the way from New Zealand, Yoson An. Yoson is a multi-faceted performer who first caught my attention as the lead actor on David Blyth's horror film Ghost Bride (See Review:  ) In addition he has starred in two television shows for HBO in New Zealand, one called Flat3 and the other a horror mini-series called Grace. Big things are planned for Yoson in 2015, I am happy to have a short chat with him about Ghost Bride, and keep reading Dan's Movie Report as next year Yoson will discuss his newer projects!


Chat about your childhood, and what made you become interested in acting.

I was born in China and went to an international school there until the age of 6. My family then moved away from China and went to live in Australia for 2 years, then to New Zealand, and have been in New Zealand ever since. I've done some musical theatre in high school and absolutely loved it. But I didn't really get into acting until the 2nd year of my University Studies.. I just did not enjoy what I was studying at all and thought to myself "is this really the path I want to take? and do what I don't enjoy for the rest of my life?" So I just started exploring really.. first started with free student short films, then went onto acting classes and got myself an agent I can trust. Have never looked back since. 


Continuing the discussion of your background, I know you have some action and martial arts experience chat about that and some additional training you have developed.

My dad threw me and my sister in Karate classes when I was about 9 and I've practiced Karate for over a decade now (I have a black belt). Some of the other martial arts intrigued me as well, such as Ninjutsu and MMA, I also trained in them for a few years. But I don't like fighting, I learn a Martial Art more for the philosophy behind the art. I'm a very peaceful person :)

ABOVE PHOTO: Yoson An as Jason in 'Ghost Bride' (C) 2013 ILA Film Productions


Chat about the process for being selected for Ghost Bride.

I saw an ad on a website called Starnow for Ghost Bride and I thought to myself, why not? So I applied. But I didn't hear back from David until 3 weeks later.


Many times I see that ads are a powerful tool to begin the process. Did you have to go through auditions, or was it more informal?

Oh did I have to go through auditions... I did about 6-7 auditions for Ghost Bride, including call backs. It was insane! David had me on the edge the entire time during that process (bless him). It was my first feature film audition, so I was incredibly nervous as well. But there really was no reason to be nervous, David's a really nice guy and made sure I was comfortable during the audition process.


I respect the audition process, also it is good practice for future film and TV roles. Ghost Bride has some cool story ideas, when you read the script, what went through your mind as you read the dialogue for your character Jason? Did you see any of yourself in Jason

To be honest, Ghost Bride was my first feature so I was ecstatic when I got to read the script. I did also see a little bit of me in the character when I read the script. The film's idea is very unique and original as well I must say, the part that I enjoyed reading the most was the climax, I just wanted to keep reading to see what will happen next in the story.

ABOVE PHOTO: Yoson An as Jason kisses Rebekah Palmer as Sky in 'Ghost Bride' (C) 2013 ILA Film Productions


In the film your character Jason has a strong relationship to Rebekah Palmer's character Sky, how did you prepare for the on screen chemistry?

Rebeckah and I got along since day 1 of the shoot, even during the auditioning process. So I didn't have much to prepare for in terms of acting as a couple, we kind of just went with it since we're get along really well behind the camera anyway.


Rebekah seems very cool, look forward to interviewing her in 2015! Chat about working with David Blyth, and some of the information he has given you for Ghost Bride and your future projects.

It's been very interesting working with David, I was never really into horror films until I met David. So I now have an experience as to what goes on behind a horror film set. It's best to just enjoy the journey of making the film because that's where the fun is.

(ABOVE PHOTO: Yoson as Jason shares a moment with Fiona Feng (Mey-Ling) (C) 2013 ILA Film Productions


Chat about the process of working on lower budget films in New Zealand.

Ghost Bride may have been a lower budget NZ film, but the crew were all professionals and many of them have worked on the LOTR and Spartacus etc. I have also had the opportunity to work on big budget productions myself, and I feel that with lower budget films you have much more flexibility and things 'get done' in a much quicker pace.


That is good to know about the professionalism of indie projects. I know many big budget films shoot in New Zealand, do you feel that many of the local actors and crew are allowed the same chances that outside people are given?

I wouldn't say 'many' but there are a few, but more and more of them are coming to NZ. So in that aspect, I do feel that local actors and crews are a little more disadvantaged than actors and crew members from LA for example. But in saying that, I heard 2015 is going to be a big year for the New Zealand film industry. Fingers crossed!


I hope more film an TV opportunities come to native New Zealanders. What are some of your future desires in film, people you want to work with and types of projects?

I wish to write/produce/direct/act in my own films in the future. Working with Christopher Nolan would be amazing.


Is your ultimate goal to move to the USA?

No, I wouldn't say that's my 'ultimate goal'.. No offense to the US, but I quite like it here in New Zealand, I really enjoy nature. But I'm not saying there won't be a possibility of my moving to the US though, that's just not my ultimate goal in life. I think my ultimate goal would be finding peace and happiness within myself; acting on my highest excitement at every moment with zero expectations of what the outcome ought to be, I believe that's the ultimate formula to happiness for anyone. 

I respect your honest answer, Hollywood at times does not seem to realize that films are worldwide, and there are many opportunities away from the U.S.. Outside of the obvious, what are some other projects you have lined up in 2015?

I will be doing my first theatre production in early 2015, and also planning to shooting my own feature that I'm writing at the moment. I'm not really sure what I'll be doing yet, I'll have to go with the flow and whatever the Universe brings me :) 

Thank you for your time Yoson, I know we will be chatting in the near future, I look forward to seeing the TV shows as well. Have a great new year! For further information check out Yoson on his official Facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/YosonAnOfficial his IMDB page is @ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5256788/?ref_=tt_cl_t11 Definitely keep reading Dan's Movie Report for more in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to post, ads or flaming will be deleted.